Sunday, February 8, 2015

A Killer of Technology



Wow it is already almost the middle of February. These last couple of weeks have been packed with planning and activities. I’ve been back and forth between Kampala for was known as Youth Think Tank but is now called Youth Camp volunteerism Think Tank and I was also in for medical. Of course Peace Corps Medical has no idea what is wrong with me as my tests came back negative which I guess is good but also frustrating their solution is I stop eating okay great will get on that. The new Education sector volunteers arrived at their sites a couple weeks ago and one is at a site right up the road from me in Kigarama at Kigarama Primary School and we also have one at another KFSP school of course they did not tell KFSP about getting volunteers so there is drama and such surrounding that but by the end of their two years KFSP will love them and not want them to leave this is very typical when something is not communicated to the heads of KFSP which is understandable but also frustrating. 

On a sad note, my computer died this past week, I did have a feeling it would and was just waiting for it to crap out and of course I had backed everything up (NOT!) and I lost most everything. This is normal for me to not back anything up. Lesson for future and current PCV’s back everything up at least two times a week. To be honest I dropped my hardrive on the floor and it will not work since probably October and then I forgot, actually I didn’t forget, my Tablet forgot its passcode so I have not been able to use it since getting here. I dropped my smartphone and broke that then made sure it was finished by throwing it across the room at the wall. I guess you could call me technologically challenged when it comes to keeping things alive and functioning. So currently I am using one of the organizations laptops which is okay so far just been a frustrating couple of days trying to figure out such and such of the computer it is a Windows 7 and my other computer was a Windows 8 which made it challenging to jump back in time. I had a freak out over that computer but after a week or so I am okay with it I just want to make sure I can get my photos off of it which is eight months worth of photos!

This week has been packed with planning and prepping for the Patrons Meeting with all 13 schools (normally 14 but one of them got grounded for bad behavior), patrons from the Environmental Conservation Program came, Head Boy and Girl Teachers came for the Health meeting and also all the head teachers attended. It was a good day busy but had lots of information to share about this coming. I am happy to report I got nine of the 13 schools to sign up for possible trainings on Reusable Menstrual Pads (RUMPS) and also two of the schools currently receiving monthly pads requested information on them! Big day! Slowly slowly bring some new ideas to the table. The Boys Program was received with much support and all of our programs will start tomorrow (Monday!) which I am very excited about should be a good busy week ahead. I am happy and content with how things are going which is a good sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment