Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Some Days I Wish I Didn’t Have Roommates

*My living situation is slightly different then most Peace Corps volunteers.


I live in a beautiful house just off the path on a tea plantation. The house has six rooms, two of which I live in on one side of the house with my own kitchen and living area. Currently, there are two other volunteers and one possible new volunteers living in the house. 

There are some days here in Uganda that I wish I didn’t have roommates. Don’t get me wrong, I love them to death but it would be nice some days to not have to make an effort to be me.

The rather large ‘long term volunteer’ housing that KFSP/The Kasiisi Project built is what I like to call the ‘Frat House’ cause we host parties, we have people over every couple of days, we are constantly changing people in and out every couple of months as volunteers come and go, we have drama, and we have the occasional dance party (either by ourselves behind closed doors or in a group in our living room), we kill sperm bugs with newspaper when we get pissed off at something that was said at work or in an email and bitch to each other. We are a bunch of adults trying to figure out the path that is before us.

I just wish some days I could home and not have anyone around. I like to spend time alone but I also will work the room in social situations if need be. I have about two/three hours in the afternoon when no one is around in between the cook leaving for the day and the guard arriving. Yes I can lock myself in my room but come on a roommate texts inviting you to watch a movie next door how do you say ‘no’?    

When I am frustrated or pissed off I would like to be able to walk around the compound glowering in true Katelyn fashion and not have people freak out and ask if I am okay?... Some days I want to scream into my pillows and not have the guard, cook, or roommates hurry over worried something is wrong. I am grateful to have that ‘concern’ if that is the right word and it has been wonderful having roommates here in Uganda but some days I would like to be alone. As much as I may complain about it I am grateful for it at well.

*I only feel about this way once in a while and for the most part I love living with people.  

No comments:

Post a Comment