Monday, October 5, 2015

Half Down And Another Half To Go


At the end of August, my Health and Agriculture June 2014 group gathered together for our Mid-Service Conference. This conference happens roughly halfway through ones service and is different in every country but it still has the same meaning and message: “You are mid-way through your service – congratulations!”. We had a couple days of discussions, activities, learning about different topics that we had requested to have more information about, what to except for our final year, starting the job search, and just hanging out and chilling with great friends. It was a great way to look back over my first year of service and evaluate where I am and where I want to go for the final months of my service. This past year has gone by quickly and the final now nine-monthsish are going to be crazy busy and I am sure will fly by. I am a little worried, I wont be able to get everything done by the time I am finished as a Peace Corps Volunteer but that is okay. After going back and forth, I have decided to not extend my service to a third year with my organization because I feel it is time to move on to a job with a salary and start paying off my student loans.

The first photo below is from our group at Staging about 14 months prior to our MSC right before we headed off to get on a plane and fly into Uganda. The second one is of our group at MSC (Minus a couple people who were on vacation). We started out with 40 people at Staging and now we are down to 27 volunteers.

Staging June 2014
 
MST August 2015
We have lost a total of 13 people for a variety of reasons from health, security, family, or personal issues. Finishing ones service is not always in the cards for people and there is nothing wrong with leaving early. At times, Uganda is a very challenging and rough place to be and live. I have thought about early terminating or 'ETing' a couple times over the year but it had nothing to do with Uganda or her people it actually has mainly to do with issues at my organization which most of the times have ended up clearing themselves up.

It is amazing to see how people have changed and grown over the past year. All of my fellow volunteers have grown into their own and I am sure there will be more growth to come in the final months. I have enjoyed my service thus far with of course the few bumps in the dirt road but that happens with any path. 

The final months are looking bright as they tick down to our Close-Of Service Conference which will be around April and the start of the job search in the coming months – I really enjoy job searching so I am looking forward to this part. Nine months left! That is CRAZY!

No comments:

Post a Comment