Saturday, May 30, 2015

Running in Uganda!

Sunrise during dry season on one of my morning runs
I have never done much running in my life before I came here in Uganda. I really have never been a fan of running in general but since I have been working on trying new things that I decided back around November to run in the Rwanda International Peace Marathon. I started out training for the ½ Marathon, as I knew I would not have time to train for a full plus the thought of running a full makes me want to chop off my feet. So training for the ½ Marathon started and I would get up at 5:15AM and would be out running by 6/6:15AM. The roads get too busy and hot after 7:30AM and I like my privacy as I am huffing and puffing along. It started off really great and I was having fun and making great distances.
                                                                                                    
Uganda is very different when it comes to running, there is something about it that just makes you want to run, run, and keep running. I would run every other day just to help my joints that do not like running and help me not get to the point of ‘oh why do I have to get up and do this!?” It helped a lot with keeping it fun.
Another Sunrise
After I came back from Italy in December (I didn't run at all during that time due to the cold), I had no drive and I really was not in the groove to run anymore. I would run here and there but nothing was ever consistent. Finally, April rolled around and I went okay this is dumb you need to run at the end of May, so I started training again and developed an issue in both hamstrings that made me very uncomfortable and nervous about them snapping and ending my short lived running career, I cut back on the amount of running and the ½ was out of the question so I focused on doing a simple 5K.
Finish line of The International Peace Marathon
After a couple weeks, I finished up my final training and then headed south on a bus to Kigali, Rwanda. I had time for two training runs after arriving in Kigali and after six months of running on dirt and trails, running on pavement for the first time was very interesting. I can tell you, I enjoy running trails and dirt way better then street running.
T-Shirts!
This past Sunday, I did run the 5K in the Rwanda International Peace Marathon. At site I was running around 25-28 minute 5K and my goal was to get in around 26 minutes. There was a lot of stress and frustration that morning and the sun at 7AM was already blazing after a week of cool almost chilly weather. Kigali is land of 100,000 hills and the whole 5k was nothing but going up a hill or down a hill. I ended up coming in just under 30 minutes and I am not going to lie there was a lot of frustration and disappointment at that time but looking back on it, I PR’d and ran my first 5K overseas and should be very happy and I am.  
It Was Hot!

Start of the race out into the street

Everyone who came down from PC Uganda finished the ½ marathon or the full marathon all had the same thing to say ‘wow that was tough’ but there was a lot of joy as it was a lot of firsts for people. It was a wonderful experience to run my first 5K overseas and I learned a lot of that. Looking toward the future but I think I will focus on trail running and would like to run longer distances in the future!
At the finish line after my run

1 comment:

  1. Great job Kate! It must have been so rewarding to run in the 5K!!!

    ReplyDelete