Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Homestay 2014 – Hoima Style Part 3



End of Homestay, Future Site Visit, and Back To Kampala


Date Wrote: July 20, 2014

My Homestay Family
The last couple of days of homestay in Hoima were a lot of fun and I was somewhat sad to leave my family but I was very excited to start the next adventure. That adventure was a four hour wooden roller coaster ride from Hoima to Fort Portal. The main roads leading out from Kampala are usually paved but it is the side roads between towns that are not and when riding in a taxi they become a wooden roller coaster. I have never been so car sick in my life, thankfully my friend Jon had a plastic bag. After arriving covered in dust to Fort Portal for the future site visit or FSV (three days with our organization), I made my way by car to my site which is a 30 minute drive from Fort Portal (those thinking of visiting – Fort Portal is very clean, tourist friendly and lots of white people, lots of amazing food, and lots of activities to do in the area). Anyways, my house is situated on the edge of a tea plantation which goes on for miles and the school that will be my home base has pretty much a 360 degree view of the Ruwenzori Mountains and surrounding areas in all directions. I only had three days which was not enough time to learn everything about it but hey I have two years starting in a couple of weeks. I am very excited to get rolling in a couple weeks.  I was able to visit three schools total in the area and meet a few students. I happened to arrive for FSV during their busy time so I spent a lot of it sitting around waiting to meet with people which was fine, I found a book and read through it. It is very classic and normal to arrive and sit and wait in Uganda. My organization was started by a professor at Harvard and lots of students from Harvard, MIT and Princeton were there doing work or studies of some sort. Met a young woman from Blaine, Minnesota working at MIT and a wonderful kind mother and daughter from the UK. I traveled into town and had some amazing pizza… not going to hide it I eat a whole medium sized pizza and I LOVED IT! Fort Portal is very nice and I can’t wait to get to know it better. My housing situation is very nice and I will post some photos soon. After site visit, Jon and I took the four hour bus ride from Fort Portal to Kampala thankfully on a paved road through the tea plantations and beautiful countryside that goes on for miles.

View From My Front Yard
On the other side of the Ruwenzori Mountains is the DRC. For those wondering, I live about 45 minutes from Kasese which was in the news lately due to the fighting that happened there about two weeks ago. These events sadly happen throughout the country and from time to time. I live on a compound currently with two other Americans and one Canadian. I will be working for the Kibale Forest Schools district and Kasiisi Project which has 14 different schools throughout the Fort Portal area and I will be working mostly in seven of them which they call core schools. From what I gather it is an enrichment program in the schools. I will write more when I know more about it. They are all really excited to have a Peace Corps Volunteer there and they all seem very nice.

Many people are happy that Entebbe is right next store and there is a bar up the road. This morning we went to the zoo! How funny is that we come to Africa where there are safaris and amazing animals in our backyards and we go to a zoo. A highlight was getting to see two white rhinos and a few other interesting birds but for the most part the zoo felt empty. They had one giraffe which ran away when we came. I want to make it clear I came to Africa for the giraffes so this was a massive buzz kill! I plan on bringing one back when I am done in a couple years. Also we got chased by a slightly crazy monkey (think it had rabies) it chased our group up the road, this small monkey was the size of a large cat and the boda guys just sat on their motorcycles laughing at us but those things are slightly scary when they go after you. Don’t worry though we are all fine. The zoo was right next to Lake Victoria which was cool to see but sadly the zoo needed a lot of money as it was very run down. We had a great lunch and went to a mall which had a legit supermarket.The mall had just opened. Off to get some sleep and prep for another day of lecturing tomorrow. Blah

No comments:

Post a Comment