Thursday, June 12, 2014

Days One Two and Three


*This was written last week during my travels. This will probably happen a lot due to lack of internet.* :)

WE MADE IT! After about 30 hours total of bus rides, plane flights, and sitting around our group of 40 health and agriculture business volunteers from all around the United States arrived in Entebbe at 7:30PM on the 5th (about 11AM in the states). Our very tired group then made our way onto a couple of buses and drove three more hours through Entebbe, Kampala, and arrived half way between Gobero and Busunju (North West of Kampala) on an organic farm that provides education to local farmers on being organic. The staging event in Philadelphia was awesome as we finally got to meet each other in person and also meet some of the staff we had been emailing with for many months. We all thankfully share a lot of the same fears about the next 27 months which makes me feel a lot better about serving but I am not going to beat around the bush... I'm scared sh*&less. I slept most of the trip mainly due to the lack of sleep I had since I left my home on the 3rd. We all slept, ate, watched movies, read, and zoned out for the flight. South African Airlines pamper you.  All ready the Ugandans have shown us kindness as we tend to stand out with our large group of white people. This morning (Friday) after only a few hours of sleep we took a tour of a local market/village just south of us. It was the first time we interacted with the local people in the day light as we had landed at night. I was very nervous about it and I know others were as well. It was the first experience with being a minority. All eyes were on us as we made our way through the small town. People were friendly and I only heard a couple comments about us "Muzungus" It was very hot this morning and humid here but the sun goes down kind early. Still trying to figure out which way is North, South, East, and West.

We had technique training today on simple things like bathing, going to the rest room, how to start a fire, what to wear, and so on.

Some random things I found out over the last couple of days
Toilets in the South African Airport don't flush the opposite direction… made me sad! They just flush down. Like every other toilet on this planet.
I finally got over my fears of airplane toilets!
I found out my computer has 8 hours of battery life instead of the 4 I thought it had.
Not having internet on your phone sucks.
I found someone who also dislikes cheese as much as I do but loves chocolate just as much as I do.
Plane food is either nasty or the best thing on the planet. 
Uganda is very pretty!

Cheers and Siiba Bulungi! (Spend the day well!)

No comments:

Post a Comment